Students accepted into the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program must possess and maintain the following technical standards.
- Acquire information for didactic, clinical, and technological learning experiences.
Example: Lecture, demonstration, observation, interview, online learning and patient assessment. Obtain clinical information and historical facts from the client and medical records.
- Acquire information from written, video, audio, and electronic sources.
Example: Literature search, data retrieval, and electronic medical records.
- Acquire information through nursing assessment techniques.
Example: Assess blood pressure, heart sounds, lung sounds and/or bowel sounds.
- Communicate information effectively and efficiently in English with faculty, clients, families and healthcare constituents,
Example: Report client status, facilitate client teaching, and document care.
- Collaborate with faculty, clients, family and health care constituents.
Example: Participate in the exchange of information among healthcare constituents.
Interpret & Integrate Information
- Measure, calculate, reason, analyze and synthesize data related to patient care.
- Integrate learned concepts, theories and research into nursing practice.
Example: Utilize Evidence Based Practice in providing nursing practice.
- Interpret and integrate information obtained from nursing assessment techniques and diagnostic tests to establish clinical judgement.
Example: Recognize and act upon alterations in client status.
- Provide holistic nursing care to clients, families and/or communities in diverse healthcare settings.
Example: Use cultural competency when engaging with diverse populations.
- Perform or assist with procedures, treatments and the administration of medications.
- Demonstrate integrity, accountability and concern for self, and others.
Example: Accountable for actions, exercises proper judgement, and completes responsibilities according to clinical guidelines and course outcomes.
- Exhibit professional, sensitive and effective interactions with clients, families and healthcare constituents.
- Exhibit professional and rational responses to stressful and/or rapidly changing situations in the classroom and clinical practice settings.
- Uphold ethical principles and practices of education and the profession of nursing.
Example: American Nurses Association of Standard of Care, Nursing Code of Ethics, Bryan College of Health Sciences Student Code of Conduct and College Values.
Technical Standards are required for the completion of the Bachelor of Sciences in Nursing. Technical Standards must be met with or without reasonable accommodations.
Bryan College of Health Sciences is committed to providing an environment conducive to learning for all students, including students with disabilities. Accommodations are provided in accordance with section 504 of the Rehabilitations Act of 1973 and the American with Disabilities Act of 1990.
If you are a student with a disability who may need reasonable accommodations, please contact the Clinical & Academic Development Coordinator at 402-481-8782.