The purpose of this policy is to promote the health and safety of students by establishing travel guidelines.
It is the intent of the College to promote safety and to encourage students to engage in professional and safe conduct when traveling to and from College-sponsored extracurricular activities and events. For purposes of this policy, an activity or event is organized and sponsored by the College when it has been planned, funded, and properly approved by the appropriate College official or officials.
This policy applies only to travel that has been planned, funded, and approved by the appropriate College personnel, and is outside Lancaster County. However, students are encouraged to follow the guidelines set out in this policy and the safe travel rules established by the College whenever travel is College-related.
Students traveling to and from College-organized and sponsored activities or events may be required to use various modes of travel and travel under different conditions. Each form of travel requires the student to follow mode-specific safety precautions. In addition to following the federal and state laws that encourage safe travel, using sound judgment, and following this policy, students traveling to and from events covered under this policy must follow the safe travel rules approved by the College.
At no time will the College authorize and/or pay for students to rent a vehicle to attend a College-sponsored event, attend a conference or any other activity planned by a student organization.
At a minimum, these rules must include provisions concerning:
- Use of Seat Belts and Other Safety Devices. Seat belts and other safety devices must be used at all times.
- Passenger Capacity. Seating in personal vehicles must comply with the manufacturers’ recommended safety capacity or federal or state law, whichever is lowest.
- Privately Owned Vehicle. Students who travel to and from activities or events covered under this policy using privately owned vehicles are required to follow the safe travel rules approved by the College and applicable state law. Students who drive their personal vehicle must complete a Student Liability Waiver Form. The driver and all passengers must wear seatbelts at all times.
- Approved Drivers. Approved drivers cannot have a major or capitol violation on their driving record, no more than one at fault accident of any type in the last three (3) years, and no more than two (2) moving violations during the last three (3) years.
- Car Insurance. Students must carry car insurance as required by Nebraska State law.
- Valid Driver’s License: Students must have a valid driver’s license.
- Fatigue and Time of Travel. Students who travel to and from events and activities covered under this policy should obtain a minimum of six (6) hours sleep before traveling and drive no more than five hundred (500) miles in a twenty-four (24) hour period. Students may not drive between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. unless authorized by the organization sponsor.
- Air and other modes of Commercial Transportation. Students traveling by air and other modes of commercial transportation must comply with all federal laws regulating the specific mode of travel and the rules of the specific commercial carrier, including laws and rules regarding carry-on baggage and baggage weight restrictions. The College will not cover the cost of any overweight baggage.
- International Travel: Students traveling to locations outside the United States are responsible for satisfying all international travel requirements, including obtaining a valid passport, obtaining health and other insurance, establishing safe points of contact in the host country and taking account of travel advisories issued by the United States Department of State, the host country or other recognized international organizations.
- Drugs and Alcohol: Please refer to the drugs and alcohol procedure in the Student Handbook. Students are responsible for their behavior at all times on and off campus.
- Weapons/Firearms: Please refer to the weapons/firearms policy in this Student Handbook.
- Travel Authorization. Authorized student organizations that require their members to travel to events and activities covered under this policy must obtain written approval for the travel from their faculty sponsor and the Director of Student Services at least one (1) day prior to in-state events or activity and seven (7) days prior for out- of-state events or activity. When the College provides the transportation, students traveling to events must return by the same mode of transportation unless authorized to do otherwise by the appropriate College official. Students less than eighteen (18) years of age are not authorized to return in any other mode of transportation than the one provided, unless approved by faculty sponsors.
The following procedures are established to implement the student travel rules
- College personnel are responsible for verifying that students are aware of these rules and for ensuring compliance with the procedures. Students who fail to comply with the rules and the procedures herein are subject to disciplinary action, up to and including suspension. Students that violate this policy and/or the procedures herein also are subject to disciplinary action, up to and including suspension. College personnel who fail to comply with the rules and the procedures herein are subject to a written reprimand or other disciplinary action.
- All trips require that a completed Student Organization Travel Itinerary form be completed by the student and submitted by the organization’s faculty sponsor to the Director of Student Services a minimum of seven (7) days prior to the trip. This includes all travel that involves student organizations.
- Each student traveling is required to submit to the Director of Student Services, the following:
- Student Travel form
- Statement of Understanding Regarding Student Travel at any College Sponsored Activity form
- Student Liability Waiver
- Approved driver form (if driving personal vehicle)
- Travel Guidelines and expectations for students