The following guidelines have been developed for the utilization of student email accounts.
- Students enrolled in a program of study will receive email accounts provided by the College. It is expected that students will check and read email regularly.
- Email accounts for new students will be activated before classes begin.
- If an email account is used for illegal activities, it will be terminated immediately. Such activities will be investigated and reported to the appropriate authorities.
- Inappropriate use of email accounts may result in disciplinary action up to dismissal from the College.
- Examples of illegal and/or inappropriate activities include, but are not limited to:
- Emailing of pornographic, sexually explicit, offensive, abusive, slanderous, vulgar, or defamatory messages, text, graphics, or images. This includes harassment and intimidation of individuals on the basis race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, religion, sex, genetic information, gender identity or expression, age, marital or family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, source of income, or any other protected class recognized by state or federal law.
- Emailing threats to students, faculty or staff.
- Harassment and intimidation of other students, faculty, or staff.
- Emailing hate literature.
- Sending of chain letters inside or outside the College.
- Soliciting others for commercial ventures, religious or political causes, outside organizations, or other non-Collegematters.
- Any actions that violate the Student Code of Conduct and are contrary to the mission and values of the College.
- Libel or slander
- Fraud or misrepresentation
- Academic dishonesty
- Academic integrity violations
- Intentional or negligent distribution of computer viruses.
The College expressly reserves the right to access, retrieve, read and delete any communication that is created on, received through or sent in the E-Mail system to assure compliance with this or any other College policy, for system maintenance or repair, and for any other lawful purpose. Users of these systems should have no expectation of privacy with respect to any such communication.
6. If a student withdraws and does not intend to return, or is dismissed, their email account will be disabled after five school days.
7. If a student is on a leave of absence, their account will remain active.
8. When studentsgraduate, their email accounts will remain active for life.